Blood is NOT thicker than water...

Now that I have set the tone for my blog...I would like to take you back to circa May 2009.

To give you a little background, Miller and I have been together for almost 6 years and the whole "getting married and planning a wedding" thing was placed on the back burner.  We had better things to worry about and spend our money on - enjoying life, buying whatever our heart desired, traveling, going out, etc.

We finally got the motivation to pick a date after my friend Carolina, who had been with her boyfriend for less than a year decided to get married.  So, we pulled out the calendar and arbitrarily picked a date in October 2009 (yes! next month!).  Our wedding is going to be low budget with just our closest families.  After we had our date set, we did what any normal human beings would do, notify our parents.  That's when all hell broke loose.

Miller's family was excited and couldn't be happier that we are finally going to tie the knot.  They have been dying for us to get married for years (mainly because I am such a catch *wink wink*).  However, my family, not so much.

Before I tell you what happened with my conversations with my parents, let me just say, yes, my parents and Miller have had their issues in the past.  However, in the last 3 or 4 years, my parents have shown nothing but "love" towards Miller...or so we thought.  They loved his presence and they loved talking to him.  My parents even bought an ostrich egg cake topper from eBay a little while ago for us! So, you'll understand why I was presently surprised by my parents' responses.

I called my mother, thinking that she would actually be excited about the wedding  How wrong was I. My mother showed no emotion about my wedding.  I asked whether she was even happy for me and her emotionless responses continued.  She told me "of course I would attend your wedding, I would attend any of my friend's wedding".  Touching right? I am the oldest of two siblings and my sister is almost 10 years younger than me.  So you would think, my mother would have a more emotional response than that! Nope. My mother placed her first daughter on the level of  "just one of her many friends".

My mother's reason for her lack of emotion was that after 6 years of Miller and I dating, that she did not like Miller all along.  Then she continued into her tirade of my lack of caring of the family and my lack of sharing my personal business with her.  Her focus was how I am a selfish daughter.  Great. Thanks mother.  The 45 minute phone call ended with me crying and returning to work with red puffy eyes.

When I got home that night, I decided to go round two with the phone calls with my parents. Time to call my father.  My father was forewarned about my wedding news. He already knew exactly what he was going to tell me.   He, also said that he never took a liking to Miller and the only reason he was ever nice to him was for my sake.  I asked my father whether they would go to my wedding willingly to stand by me, even though they think I am not making the "right" decision.  He said no. Great father right? Don't stand by your daughter through the bad decisions she makes, abandon her when she makes those bad decisions! Then I realize the conversation started to focus on how I am a selfish daughter...ONCE AGAIN! This phone call also lasted about 45 minutes with me crying and laying on my bed with red puffy eyes.

When I stepped back to look at the two conversations, I noticed one universal theme - I am a selfish daughter! Apparently, I no longer care about my parents or my sister's well-being because I am getting married.  Even though...they possess a cake topper in preparation for our nuptials! So what went wrong I asked myself.  Then the "ah-ha" moment struck! I have been a daughter in which my parents have had a lot of say and control in my life until I met Miller.  While my parents expected us to get married someday, they wanted to be the one to tell ME when I can or cannot get married.  ME! A GROWN WOMAN IN HER 20s!

My parents were simply hiding behind the guise of "Miller is not a good guy" to further their agenda of controlling my life.  To be honest, if I were to marry a complete dirtbag, I would still expect my parents to be there by my side if they were good parents...but I digress.  My parents are so selfish that they rather completely ruin their daughter's wedding and marriage then to be supportive and loving - all because they want to continue their grip in my everyday decisions.

So I take to the wisdom of a few local radio DJs - "blood is NOT thicker than water".  These DJs always posed the question of "would you be friends with [insert family member] had he/she not been your family?" I asked myself that about my parents.  The answer is a big fat NO. I would not. My parents are no angels and the decisions they make in their lives and the way they treat their own friends and family are not the way I would live my life.  The key difference is, I do NOT comment about their lives.  I let them live the life they live! The only people that should be considered family are people who truly cares about you and whom you truly care about.  People who will be there through thick and thin.  People who won't judge you. And people who understand what you want without having to ask.

I must say, I miss my sister.  She is a teenager and is heavily controlled by my parents.  I am sure she too, thinks poorly of me at this time.  I truly miss her and it saddens me that my sister does not wish to talk to me after my attempts of reaching out to her.

Goodnight for now.
-Emma



1 comment:

an allie fox said...

Thats a hard situation to be in. Luckily for me my parents were pretty excited about my engagement. You really just have to decide: is it worth going through with? Its your life, and that means you will choose whats right for you, despite who may agree, despite how much it might hurt. You are the one who has to be happy with the decision, you and Miller. Not your parents, not his parents, just you guys.

-a friendly onlooker.

Post a Comment